I am off to work soon, so quick thoughts (Spoilers ahoy! Be warned…):
- This was an inferior remake of the first movie. We have:
- A villain with a personal vendetta against Jack
- Who was cursed so that they couldn’t go on land and where stuck as undead beings
- Who need the daughter of a pirate in order to end their curse
- This daughter of a pirate refuses to believe her father can be anything but a good man. Except he’s a pirate.
- Jack is going to be executed, except he’s rescued at the last minute by the son of Will Turner
- We have the son of Will Turner using Jack to rescue someone he loves
- And it ends after the curse is broken and their newfound mortality is used against the villains. Seriously. It’s beat for beat.
- The problem is that it isn’t NEARLY as good as the first movie. The villain isn’t as interesting as Barbossa, the reveal of the undead pirates wasn’t nearly as cool and creepy, Jack wasn’t nearly as funny or as necessary to the plot, the story was far too disjointed, and the ending wasn’t as clever.
- WITH THAT SAID – it’s better than the second and third movie, and at least as good as the fourth. The designs on the villains were very creepy and extremely cool, the actions scenes were fun, and Jack was still Jack, and thus amusing. It was good to see him relegated to a more secondary status, and focus on new leads; Jack is not meant to be a lead.
- This should be how the series ends. It puts a neat capper on every loose thread from the original trilogy and gives all of our main characters satisfying endings to their respective stories. But I’m sure they’ll shoehorn in a sequel regardless.
So the movie wasn’t bad, per se. But I’m not going to see it again. If I ever want to watch it, I’ll just put on the original and see a better version of it anyway. So it goes.