– That was a ridiculously fun movie
– The characters and performances were all wonderful
– That said, sections of it were surprisingly dark and violent
– When the movie followed the adventures of our protagonists, Newt, Jacob, Tina, and Queenie, it was wonderful. When it switched to other POV’s (as it did occasionally) I found myself marking time
– Everybody talks about how this is a great foundational franchise builder, but I just don’t see it. There is no reason in the sequel that ANY of the main characters in this movie ever need to show up again. They’re entirely superfluous in regards to the wider plot
– I really, really hope we get to spend time with these characters again. It took me a bit to warm up but by mid-movie or so I loved them every bit as much as I ever did the original power trio of the HP series
– The reveal at the end really is nicely executed and admittedly rather exciting
– The way the movie handled the magical creatures was, perhaps unsurprisingly, superb and a ridiculous amount of fun.
So this movie or “Dr. Strange”? Good question. With a gun to my head I’d say that “Dr. Strange” was probably objectively better, but “Fantastic Beasts” is so much fun that it’s the one I’d be more likely to rewatch in the future. Flaws aside, I HIGHLY recommend it. HP fans especially will love it.